Are you finding the production of technical publications costly and too slow? Does it encounter many review cycles to correct quality issues? Does it cause the duplication of effort and inefficiencies creating procedures? To further streamline and automate the creation of product documentation, data from other systems is needed.
EXTRACT MORE VALUE FROM EXISTING INTELLECTUAL ASSETS
Cortona3D RapidAuthor software increases the productivity of authors by mapping of source engineering design and bill-of-material (BOM) data directly into text as well as 2D/3D illustrations and animations to create technical publications in HTML, 2D/3D PDF and Augmented Reality. In addition, RapidAuthor includes Smart Automatic Update that enables companies to accurately reflect engineering changes in technical publications – in 3D graphics, in the DPL table, in 2D graphics, in callouts, in explosion views, and animations.
Unstructured authoring and mishandling of files on network drives are issues of the past. When multiple contributors need to collaborate or when large amounts of information must be created, searched, and retrieved, Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) and Content Management Systems (CMSs) are useful. Thanks to its open architecture, Cortona3D RapidAuthor supports communication and workflow integration with PLM, CMS, ERP systems, also receiving all metadata fields related to the revision process. It has seamless integration with Teamcenter and command line and socket interfaces for integration with other PLM, PDM systems, e.g. Windchill, SAP, XMLCOMPASS, Documentum, etc.
A SINGLE ENVIRONMENT SUPPORTS ALL OF PARTICIPANTS ENGAGED IN DESIGNING, ASSEMBLING AND DOCUMENTING
Many of the challenges for the cost-effective and timely production of technical documentation for complex mechanical products arise from the standalone nature of many of the content management systems. In essence, a technical publication is still largely isolated and a follow-on process. Moving technical writers into the PLM paradigm is significantly reducing document development costs and making product documents more effective. With RapidAuthor for Teamcenter that is smoothly integrated with Teamcenter technical authors benefit from a shared-PLM environment.
FEATURES OF A shared-PLM ENVIRONMENT
- Access existing PLM information such as BOMs (engineering BOM, manufacturing BOM, service BOM), existing images and engineering JT or CAD data directly
- Create, edit and review individual content objects centrally in PLM using RapidAuthor for Teamcenter
- Automated metadata entry such as revision, applicability, etc. into data modules based on the relationships between a data module and the product structure. That cause rapid documentation of product variants.
- Automated change impact notification. These notification capabilities are especially valuable since they free technical writers from having to manually research a design change and determine its impact on any given data module.
- Use existing PLM processes and workflows to review and approve documents
- Easily trace the links back to the source data to verify the information in the data module
BENEFITS OF PLM-DRIVEN TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION
- Time and cost saving by reuse of existing assets
- IT cost saving by consolidating the product and documentation record into a single system
- Effective change management
- Improve the quality and accuracy of documentation
- Create rapidly configuration-specific product documentation while spending fewer resources