There are two different versions of the software: RapidAuthor and RapidAuthor for Teamcenter:
- RapidAuthor imports data in various CAD formats (e.g., CATIA, NX, SolidWorks).
- RapidAuthor for Teamcenter is integrated with Teamcenter and imports PLM XML and JT data. Import of other CAD formats can be supported by purchasing the additional product – RapidDataConverter for Teamcenter.
Key changes in version 12
- Data import process speed and memory usage has been improved.
- Parts catalogs: existing DPL row can now be cloned; imported 3D data can be linked to existing DPL tables.
- Procedures: creating 3D animations has become much easier.
- S1000D support: a new user interface for editing SCORM Content Package Modules (SCPM) and improved user interface of SCPM publications; automatic publishing of all projects referenced from SCO or SCPM data module.
- 2D authoring: corner effects such as fillet, scallop, and chamfer are supported; an easy method of adding tables to 2D images
RapidAuthor and RapidAuthor for Teamcenter improvements
Creating parts catalogs
- Existing DPL row can now be cloned.
- The part associated with an existing DPL row can be changed to another part.
- Revision status of an IPC page changes automatically when an attached illustration or a clipping plane is added, deleted or modified.
- Creation of animations is now one step shorter: default animation for all transform actions is now equal to zero; no need to click Reset for each animation.
- A new fast method of creating multi-key animations.
- New action is automatically expanded in the Procedure Editor if it has editable parameters.
- Procedure time marker can be moved to an animation key position by a click on the key.
- The last key of a multi-key animation can be removed.
- The ‘New Action’ and ‘Select Item or Collection’ dialog windows are now resizable.
- All bookmarks can now be quickly removed by the new ‘Clear All Bookmarks’ button.
- Function and atom names in the procedure specifications have been changed to a more readable form.
- Custom specification components can be configured to display and edit step and action metadata directly in the Procedure Editor.
Authoring – general improvements
- Web browser used for previewing publications can be defined by the user.
- Generated SVG files are now successfully validated against the SVG schema.
- Local manipulator position is preserved for each object when its position is changed.
- Manipulator position can now be used for aligning items.
- DITA version for generated documents can be specified explicitly (DITA Topic, DITA Task and GENERIC IPC specifications).
- Default window position can be restored with a new command ‘Reset Layout’.
- Easier navigation in the Metadata Explorer window: empty metadata can be hidden.
- Frame rate can be displayed in status bar.
- A prompt to update project 2D images is displayed after accepting changes in Update Wizard.
- Toolbars and buttons for the macros created in a custom specification are now visible only when current project uses this specification.
Authoring of S1000D 4.x publications
- Model number and service bulletin filters are supported in IPD publications.
- 2D PDF IPD publications now contain all DPL entries and match HTML publications.
- The footnote element is now supported.
- Internalization of internal references to warnings and cautions in the Document Editor.
- Externalization of the Common Information Repository (CIR) references when S1000D data module is published.
- Names of IPC pages are published to IPD data modules.
- Data modules can be attached to an IPC project from Teamcenter.
- Improved visual presentation of the SCPM tree structure in the publication.
- New commands for editing SCPM data modules in the Document Editor: ability to add, move, and remove the elements of the table of contents*.
- Projects, referenced from SCPM or SCO project, are automatically published when the referencing project is published*.
*Applicable for a standalone use of RapidAuthor, when it is launched not from Teamcenter.
Editing of 2D CGM images
- Corner effects, such as fillet, scallop, and chamfer, can be applied.
- New text properties are supported: strikethrough and underline.
- Tables of different styles can be easily added to 2D images via new parametric gallery objects.
- Hotspot names can be automatically defined via new ‘Autoname’ property of Callout objects.
- Default style is better visible and can be easily changed in Property Inspector.
- Snapping to text objects is now supported.
- Guide lines in axonometric projections can now be dragged from the ruler.
- The dragging of the Callout object has been improved: when the object is dragged for its body, the borders of the hotspot region are used for snapping; when it is dragged for the reference line – the ends of the reference line are used instead.
- Performance improvements: the import process is up to two times faster; the memory allocation has been reduced to up two times.
- New geometry can be linked to existing DPL rows (configuration of the import profile is required).
- New CAD formats supported: Creo 6, Inventor 2020, Parasolid v31.1, NX 1847 Series, STEP XML.**
- The Excel import plugin can create IPC pages with images, automatically activate DPL rows on specified IPC pages, and set a recommended page.
- Import of surface edges from JT data has been improved***.
** This functionality requires RapidAuthor or RapidDataConverter for Teamcenter.
*** This functionality requires RapidAuthor for Teamcenter or Rapid JT Component.
- Publications which do not require plugins is now the default publishing option.
- 2D PDF output is now available for RapidWorkInstruction, DITA Task and DITA Topic specification components.
Interface of final publications
- Transparency bar is now available in plugin-free procedure publications.
- Camera can be aligned horizontally in plugin-free publications.
- Revision marks are now displayed in 2D PDF publications of parts catalogs using Generic IPC specification.
- 32-bit version of the authoring tools is no longer available.
- Republishing tools for procedures and parts catalogs have been combined into a single tool, which now supports also RapidText, RapidIllustration and RapidLearning projects.
- Numerous bug fixes.
Improvements in RapidDeveloper and RapidDeveloper for Teamcenter
- Names of actions, functions, and atoms and their parameters for a particular specification component can be localized with the help of RapidSpecification module of RapidDeveloper.
Improvements in RapidAuthor Connector for Teamcenter
- The new Reviewer module for commenting data modules during their approval process.
RapidDataConverter for Teamcenter improvements
- New CAD formats supported: Creo 6, Inventor 2020, Parasolid v31.1, NX 1847 Series, STEP XML.
Cortona3D Viewer (for Windows) improvements
- Native support for 3Dconnexion devices.
- Some default settings have been changed: the anti-aliasing is on, the background color is set to grey gradient.
- Addresses the issue with automatic size of panels when using the offsetLeft and offsetTop fields.