Cortona3D Rapid Product Family - New Products - September 2009
RapidDataImport from Cortona3D offers users the ability to import certain native CAD formats into the Cortona3D Rapid tools. Direct connection of CAD design data with the Rapid applications improves the accuracy and speed of import, streamlining the process from design to documentation. RapidDataImport allows access to metadata contained in the CAD, which can then be incorporated into the resulting 3D documentation. Initial formats supported are CATIA V4 and V5, Pro/ENGINEER
- Benefit: This is a large growth in the number of file types that can be quickly, easily and - most importantly - accurately used with the Rapid family of tools. Importing data directly from CAD system ensures consistency of engineering data used in customer documentation, eliminates re-input inaccuracies and speeds the process.
- Information can also be provided regarding Siemens NX and I-deas, Acrobat 3D, 3DXML, CADDS, IGES, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, Universal 3D Studio and Inventor and many others. Some importers will incur additional licensing costs, full details are available from firstname.lastname@example.org or your local representative.
A new package providing the ability to publish output as 3D Adobe® PDF compatible files. The 3D output is published from the Cortona3D Rapid tools to a user defined Adobe PDF template. The ability to edit these Adobe PDF templates is included with the RapidPDF module. View and interact with the 2D and 3D output using Adobe Acrobat®.
- Benefit: The ubiquitous nature and ease of access to PDF files makes this format an obvious output choice. Adding PDF to the output options allows readers easier access to output, using an application many will already be very familiar with.
Cortona3D Rapid Product Family - Announcing New Features in v4.5
Improved support for 2D images
- Bezier Curve generation
- Ability to hide transparent objects while generating 2D images.
- Improved parallel projection in 2D Preview.
- 2D Image generation in a separate thread to keep UI responsive.
- Benefit: Overall performance improvements in 2D illustration generation, specifically smoother curves, improved appearance and reduced file sizes.
- Significant reducing of operational time while working with large projects: permanent deleting changing object hierarchy, changing current representation, and corresponding undo operations.
- Benefit: A range of improvements reflecting customer feedback when working with large, complex, long running projects.
Improvements in creating training applications (RapidLearning only)
- Ability to continue the exam even if a trainee failed some intermediate steps
- SCORM integration: some variables of CMI interface can be accessed via Scenario Editor, ability to use user's script in the training scenario.
- Benefit: More flexible authoring and delivery. Training improvements including additional elements accessed delivering improved SCORM compliance in training materials, and allowing students to complete training materials even if they fail some sections.
Changes in the Object gallery (RapidLearning/RapidManual only)
- A new Spring object has been added to the gallery.
- Extra features have been added to the Callout object.
- Benefit: Improved functionality for callouts, enabling easy, improved highlight of key areas and items, as well as an addition to the standard parts gallery.
Other Authoring improvements
- Hotspots validation implemented for multiple CGM viewers and does not require the use of IsoView (RapidCatalog only)
- Ability to specify the information to be displayed in the object tooltips: metadata, object name, or pre-defined text (RapidCatalog only).
- Ability to create DPL tables in the IPC projects from Microsoft Excel files (RapidCatalog only).
- Ability to reduce the size of final 3D data by excluding extra formatting from its source code.
- The trimming option now enables marking the cross-section with appropriate color.
- Support for multiple languages in the project data and specification components.
- Ability to create collections of 3D items, making applying exploding, grouping and other operations easier than before.
- Editing explosions, alignment of 3D items in the group, and the ability to explode 3D items from the collection.
- Ability to choose a required working area directly in the Open project dialog box.
- Current specification is now displayed in the status bar.
- The depth of the Undo Selection command has been significantly increased.
- The project archive (vmp file) can now contain an unlimited number of files.
- The performance of control elements of 3D window (zoom, slider, directional axes) has been improved.
- Display of small preview images (thumbnails) of 3D items.
- Benefit: A range of authoring improvements aimed at delivering clearer user information for example, you can now define which information is displayed in the tool tip, make cross section outputs easier to understand via the use of colour, and provide more information throughout.
Improved licensing procedure
- Ability to activate the software via Internet even if a proxy server is used.
- Ability to maintain a log of all licensing operations.
- Benefit: Responding to the various activation and licensing scenarios the changes make it easier and simpler to access licenses and log license usage and status at all times.
Support for Mozilla Firefox 3.0
- Created 3D manuals, training applications, and part-catalogs can be now viewed in Firefox, however the following options are not supported at this time: 2D CGM images, export of DPL tables into Microsoft Excel.
- Benefit: This additional capability answers some organizations security issues with some browsers and completes support for the 2 most popular browsers in use today.